Thursday, April 29, 2010

Math Always Kills Fun.

I have a few conspiracy theories about the Lotto. As I'm sure many people do. I don't know anyone who's actually won it. I've heard stories about people from my hometown who have won, but this is likely coming from the same person who told me about the Ether Bunny before I left for college. (And if you've never heard the urban legend of the Ether Bunny, I'm not gonna be the one to tell you.)

So yeah, I scan the tickets and today it said I won "$23.50 -- See Store Clerk." In all likelihood, the machine that read the ticket recognized the numbers, did a quick score on how much I've spent and with what regularity, and decided it was time to give me a false sense of hope so I'd keep coming back. You gotta spend money to make money.

But the truth is they're not my tickets. I play T-Bone's and Sparky's numbers for them while they're away. They've probably been playing this same card for decades. It's a big responsibility and I don't take it lightly. Because I'm sure as hell NOT gonna be the guy who DIDN'T play their numbers in the off chance lightning should strike.

No way do I wanna be that guy.

2 comments:

  1. No way do you want to be that guy. Somebody's gotta win, right?

    I play now and again. I figure that I am doing my extra little to support education.

    However, the frikkin' dumbasses in Olympia have figured a way to make the money go different directions than orignally planned. I have never really audited the books for the state lotto, so I cannot say where all the funds are going; it is on my list to do though.

    MV, it is so great to see you drawing again! Seriously. I was very excited when I saw that over on twink's site.

    I miss you!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed you too, Anjha. Like I said, it's been a brutal year but I'm starting to come out of the funk of it all and do a little something I enjoy, and I always come back to the comics. Sooner or later.

    And yeah, the Lotto is really just a voluntary state tax, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I still haven't figured out how it works -- the buying of the tickets. Shopgirl's mom, Sparky, wrote me a list and I literally go in there every week and hand over the list. They've been very polite about it. And if nothing else, the routine puts me in a grocery store every week, so that's good. There's always something we need that I can easily pick up. And then bring home and drop. 8)

    ReplyDelete