Tuesday, May 11, 2010

TV Should Not Be An Obligation.

I deleted a bunch of stuff from my DVR that I'm sure is probably good. I'm not even gonna name names because somebody will inevitably tell me I'm missing out on something. But c'mon. In theory, I could spend every free hour for the rest of my life watching something. And when I run out stuff, I could go right to DVD box sets of TV shows and keep watching. Hours and hours and hours. And in the end, what have I got to show for it?

So as of right now, shows that fit the above-stated criteria (along with the appropriate category) include:

1. Lost (3)
2. Justified (2,3)
3. The United States of Tara (3)
4. The Office (1)
5. Parks and Recreation (1)
6. 30 Rock (1)

And in the near future, shows that haven't started their seasons yet:

7. Rescue Me (1,3)
8. Californication (1,2,3)
9. Entourage (1,3)

I'm probably forgetting a couple, but you get the point.

And the best part is, thanks to the wonder of DVR technology, I can watch that shit on my own time.

So don't kill your television. Just tame it.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly. Tame it. DVR has made it easy to keep many shows at a time - with VHS, you had to want a show bad enough to wrestle with tapes and such. It's like having a bunch of books and no time to read. I'll come up with my list in a sec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Lost (tis the last season!)

    2. Doctor Who - I like the new guy, but he's got some tics that are annoying, so this is not numbah one.

    3. Fringe - can't help it, love the wacky stuff

    4. Warehouse 13, season's starting soon! Woohoo!

    I've got 5 eps each of Justified, V, and Survivors banked, but I can't see getting down to watching unless I get sick for a few days. When I'm puttering around the house, usually I've got reruns of Buffy in the background, at least on weekends; weekdays, it's Olberman/Maddow while I clean/cook/buzz/decompress. There are a couple midseason new things I might check out, but I'm in the midst of spring planting, so I've been out in the yard. Yep, first sunny day in weeks and every yard in my neighborhood got a haircut. Next weekend, we wash the cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about Fringe, of course, since it's a JJ show, but if I never get to it, meh.

    And that's the other thing we all need to keep in mind. Our preferences may not be anyone else's. There's nothing wrong with recommending a show. But we all have different tastes.

    ReplyDelete